UCLA’s Blood Drive

West Ranch hosted their annual blood drive on Wednesday, March 27, in partnership with the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center. Available to the public, the drive was open from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Being a long-standing tradition, West Ranch welcomed the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center to their gym where they were able to have blood procured from voluntary donors. West Ranch’s ASB director Mrs. Priske clarified the purpose of the drive: “Blood donation is in high demand; there’s a lot of people who need different types of blood, so UCLA actually reaches out to us every year. It’s just a way to give back to the community.” The tradition of having the UCLA blood drive annually has brought together many people in the Santa Clarita community to help those in need. 

Multiple stations were set up around the gym, helping to facilitate the donation process. Upon entering the gym’s double doors, donors were met at a check-in table, where they were redirected to the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center staff and handed a short questionnaire. After completing the questionnaire, donors were taken to the next station table for a brief physical assessment. Once passing the physical exam, they were able to donate. 

The UCLA Blood and Platelet Center accepts donors who are 16 years old or above and pass the physical exam. A person can donate every 56 days or up to six times a year. Deborah Alter, the principal administrative analyst at the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center, shared a few healthy ways to donate blood: “You want to make sure you drink a lot of water because your body is 70 percent water. Having a decent meal, drinking water and having a good night’s rest will make sure you are donating your blood effectively.” 

Unfortunately, not all units of blood are usable due to various problematic factors. With concerns of these difficulties, Mrs. Priske elaborated, “Different factors like low iron or other things that come up make the blood unable to be used.” Despite the obstacles, the blood drive perseveres to reach their goal.

Along with the heroic act of donating life-saving blood, UCLA’s Blood and Platelet Center team provided snacks and drinks to support donors. When asked what encourages her to donate, West Ranch senior Taylor Lankford responded, “The ability to help others who are in critical situations by doing something so simple makes the experience fulfilling.”

Cats, this year’s blood drive was a success thanks to your help. If you want to contribute and are 16 or older, be sure to be on the lookout for the next blood drive!