The Paw Print Recaps Recent News on High School Sports Seasons

Noah Neri, Sports Editor

Over winter break, the CIF decided that playoffs for all fall sports were canceled. For SCV locals, this came as no surprise, especially considering that Hart District teams have not been allowed to hold any regular season games.

While this is unfortunate, there is some good news for Wildcat athletes! At a recent William S. Hart Union High School District board meeting, the board voted to resume optional on-campus conditioning, which had been previously suspended. 

“Athletic conditioning in person can resume as of January 27th,” Athletic Director Anne Konrad told The Paw Print. “All LA County Department of Public Health Guidelines must be followed (6 feet apart, masks worn at all times except during strenuous activity, and student-athletes work in small cohorts for training).”

Because California recently announced the end of the highest level of stay-at-home orders and began distributing vaccines, there is still the possibility of spring seasons for the sports in this section of the CIF calendar. 

“We are still hopeful that we will have a Spring sports season,” Konrad explained. “It may look different from years past (i.e. shortened season, possibly league only, etc) but we are working hard to be prepared for any and all guidelines set forth for competition to take place safely.”

The Paw Print would like to remind our West Ranch athletes to properly observe public safety regulations in order for us to all get back onto the field or court in no time!