West Ranch Defeats Valencia 23-16

Patrick Grant, Sports Writer

West Ranch Defeats Valencia 23-16

The Wildcats (8-0) remain undefeated. After emerging victorious against their infamous rival, the Valencia Vikings (4-0),  West Ranch is now riding in the driver’s seat for a league title. 

The Vikings had been rolling on offense up until this game, having just finished throttling both Castaic and Golden Valley for a combined 108 points, and were now coming into this matchup with considerable momentum. 

However, West Ranch’s defense shut them down. The unit generated two fumbles, those turnovers plunging the Vikings into a 0-13 deficit early on, and West Ranch remained two steps ahead of them the entire game.

When West Ranch was on offense, they again leaned on their powerful rushing attack, this time led by the senior running back Tyler Scott. Scott scored twice on the ground and racked up 130 rushing yards, which led the team and the game to victory. 

With Scott’s bruising running game in full swing, the Wildcats kept the lead in their favor and West Ranch came home as winners for the second straight year. The fans then rushed the field, and the entire West Ranch student body celebrated the glory of the win. 

That record will place West Ranch atop the entire Foothill League, and now they will be entering the last leg of the season as heavy favorites to take home their first league title in school history.

“It’s great,” Quarterback Ryan Staub said about being undefeated. “You know it’s a good win, but the job’s not finished. We gotta keep working.” 

And the team will keep working. Next week they will face Golden Valley (3-1), their last obstacle in the way of a league title. If the Wildcats get this last victory at home, West Ranch could make history.