Girls Varsity Soccer Closes their Season Peacefully

With winter sports settling in, athletes have condoned the chilly weather through their athletic prowess. West Ranch’s Girls Varsity Soccer is no exception. The team currently ranks 5th in the league with a match score of 4-8-4. After overcoming numerous hurdles to close off their season, the team has continued to show prideful performances through grit and effort. 

With their Senior Night game against Valencia High School ending in a 1-1 tie, spirits stayed high; the seniors were celebrated for their four-year commitment. When asked to recall the initial emotions of the night, Junior Captain Ainsley Pierzchalski responded, “I’ve known these seniors since I was a freshman, and I got to know them even more this year because we’re on Varsity. It’s sad to say goodbye, but it’s a proud moment because these people taught me so many things on and off the field.” 

With heightened pressures from previous successes and hopes to qualify for CIF, the girls went into their next game against Hart High School: their long-time rival. This game not only decided their final league position but was also their qualifier for CIF. Head Coach Jared White explained, “We lost to Hart badly in previous games, going 0-4. To avoid that, and hopefully qualify for CIF, the girls put in extra practice the night before, to show improvement after each game.” Unfortunately, the away game at Hart High School ended in a similar closure with a defeat of 1-4. Though the defeat took away the chance to qualify for CIF, the Girls Varsity Soccer team was able to bring back their growth mindsets, set on winning their last game of the season. Instead of demotivating the girls from putting their best foot forward in their final game, it ignited a desire to end the season with a bang. 

On Feb. 1, Girls Varsity Soccer found themselves against their final opponent of the season: Golden Valley High School. The game ended in a victory, with a final score of 3-1. When asked about the synergetic performance that night, Pierzchalski recalled, “Going into the game, I know everyone went in with heavy hearts. After all, it was our last game with our seniors. This motivated us even more, and each teammate showed great performance and synergy throughout the game.” 

With the 2023-24 Girls Soccer season wrapped up, feelings of pride and accomplishment washed over the team. Coach Eric White confessed, “I’m proud of the girls: the seniors who stayed in the program for four years and gave in their blood, sweat, and tears, and even the younger athletes, who tried their hardest to keep up and show improving performances.” He added, “I hope being in the soccer program taught the girls a few life lessons about persistence and determination. Go Cats!”