2023 Movie Releases

2023 brought with it an incredible year for the film industry. A variety of talented filmmakers had the opportunity to share their spectacular stories on the big screen, and many of our own West Ranch students, staff and teachers were able to enjoy them. Be aware, spoilers will be discussed!

This year was a big success at the box office, with the releases of movies such as “Oppenheimer,” “Barbie,” “Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” “Elemental” and many more.

OPPENHEIMER

In his most recent project, Christopher Nolan follows the life of Robert J. Oppenheimer in a vivid biopic titled “Oppenheimer,” which was released on July 21. Oppenheimer, an American physicist, is most widely known for his creation of Trinity, the world’s first atomic bomb. Throughout the movie, emotions are heavy as Oppenheimer faces the mental anguish of being the creator of the most destructive weapon in the world. 

Nolan is infamously known for limiting the use of computer-generated imaging (CGI) in his films, a principle held firm in “Oppenheimer.” By utilizing petroleum rather than plutonium, the production team was able to emulate the effect of a real atomic bomb. This took many viewers by surprise, including some West Ranch staff. 

English teacher Mr Blaugrund shared his thoughts on the movie. “I liked how the movie was by adults, for adults. It’s always good when you come out of a movie feeling like the movie was smarter than you are.” 

“Oppenheimer” faced praise from critics and success at the box office, and it will undoubtedly go under Nolan’s filmography of cinematic masterpieces.

BARBIE

On July 21, viewers flooded theaters dressed in pink to watch one of the most anticipated movies of 2023: “Barbie.” Set in Barbie Land, fans were excited to see how director Greta Gerwig embodied the iconic doll as a human. The movie features actors such as Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Will Ferrel and many others. The diverse cast is a reflection of Barbie’s numerous professions, with each actor portraying different versions of Barbie and Ken. 

The story of “Barbie” was shaped around the stereotypical Barbie and Ken, as it followed their journey into the real world after Barbie’s feet had gone flat. Conflict arises when Barbie and Ken discover the idea of patriarchy, which flips Barbie Land upside down as Ken tries to enforce his newfound agenda on the Barbies. 

West Ranch Sophomore Annabelle Barriere saw this movie numerous times, fond of how her childhood was brought to life on the big screen. “There’s so many Barbies. I had a lot of Barbies, and they each did something different. I think it’s great how a Barbie could be in any profession, and that was really cool to see on screen,” she explained.

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

Releasing June 2, “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” set standards for future animated movies while also providing a groundbreaking story within the Spider-Man mythos. Produced by Sony Animations in association with Marvel, the movie expanded the Spider-Verse. Following the release of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” the franchise challenged animation industry norms by employing a complex blend of animation techniques. 

West Ranch sophomore Logan Hindes described how he felt when he first saw the movie. “When I saw it in the theater, I thought the animation was really cool. I felt like I was in the movie, and they’ve gotten to a point where animation is just another level of emotion they can hit by using different art styles and colors.” 

The story follows Miles Morales, a 15-year-old from Brooklyn, as he tries to bear the weight of being both vigilante and civilian. Miles is thrown across the multiverse and introduced to a Spider Society. Much to his surprise, he finds himself divided from the spider-people when he realizes his very existence threatens the multiverse.

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” greatly surpassed its predecessor at the box office, and the excitement for the final chapter of the Morales mythos, “Spiderman: Beyond the Spider-Verse”, has only just begun.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3

On May 5, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” was released, serving as the grand finale for the galactic found family. The 32nd installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) was directed by James Gunn and starred Chris Pratt as the legendary Star-Lord, Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon, Will Poulter as Adam Warlock and Chiwetel Ejiofor as the maniacal High Evolutionary, among other actors. 

Centered around Rocket’s origin as the High Evolutionary’s test subject, the film pulled the lovable, super-powered misfits through thick and thin across the galaxy, encountering new alien empires and civilizations. The movie told the themes of embracing one’s self regardless of flaws and learning to let go of loved ones.

A significant aspect of the franchise was the consistent soundtrack curated by James Gunn. Although the franchise started with songs from the early 1970s, the Guardians’ soundtrack evolved into a compilation of songs ranging from the 1980s to the early 2000s. 

“I really enjoyed how the playlist evolved into something more modern,” Hindes explained. “Star-Lord’s music always reflected the Guardians’ journey and personality. My favorite song in the movie was ‘Dog Days are Over’ by Florence and The Machines, which, to me, summarized the end of their story together.”

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” dominated the box office upon its release, and continues the MCU’s streak of superhero success.

ELEMENTAL

The world-renowned animation studio Pixar released their 27th feature film, “Elemental,” on June 16. Directed by long-time Pixar voice actor and animator Peter Sohn, “Elemental” was a personal passion project of Sohn, utilizing the elements of water, fire, air and earth to offer his perspective on the immigrant story. The film follows Ember Lumen, the first-generation daughter of two Firish individuals, navigating between her own future with a Water person and following in her parents’ footsteps. 

From their first films to “Elemental”, Pixar has long been regarded as the standard for animated movies. The studio frequently employs larger-than-life characters and intricate plots to convey relatively mature, grounded and somewhat adult themes. 

“I think Pixar has always led the animation industry,” sophomore Brady Martzke voiced. “Both in terms of animation technology and storytelling, Pixar tends to push the boundaries of what a ‘kid’s movie’ is and should be.”

Although the film was praised by many, “Elemental” faced criticism online regarding its bare and bland take on the complex theme of cultural dysphoria. 

“I really enjoyed ‘Elemental,’ Martzke remarked. “I think it’s definitely underrated and worthy of praise, but I can see why others didn’t like it. It’s small. It’s simple. It’s not the most groundbreaking story in the world, nor was the animation anything special, but I don’t think it has to be.”

From animated movies like “Elemental” to biographical thrillers like “Oppenheimer,” this year brought the releases of numerous successful films from passionate filmmakers. With a few more months until the end of 2023, be on the lookout for incredible upcoming movie releases.